Restricted

I passed. I turned off the engine, pressed down the clutch and put the car in first gear, I pulled the handbrake and looked at the car's front in the window ahead, wondering whether I had parked within the lines. The instructor said she had a few improvements I should make. Rear view mirror use. Reverse parallel parking. Smoother gear changes. But I passed. When mum opened the front passenger door, I glimpsed the white line parallel enough to the car.

I drove home partly relieved, partly unsure. I hardly slept last night, so I'm thankful for this success.

My friend told me that once I get my restricted license, I'll feel freedom, because I'll be more independent. Although I've yet to drive by myself, I don't yet feel that freedom. I may yet, but somehow I doubt it.

Freedom is different to someone who isn't restricted, and I haven't felt so: in terms of driving, my parents and brother have nearly always been willing to provide me with transport to wherever I wanted to go, and in the other cases, my friends were willing to oblige. I've never been troubled for finding my way. So although I can now drive by myself legally, I don't think it'll be much of a change. But I may have it wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment