Less Problems

Today my girlfriend was over at my house. We watched a movie, laughed about it, ate lunch, then talked and played some brain games on the bed. After those, I felt unstimulated, and she asked me if I was bored. I said no, but I probably was bored on the level of me that wanted and liked interaction. Nine or so months ago, if she would have come to my place, we would have talked awhile about each other, getting to know who the other person is, recounting events, but also exchanging analyses of problems and being vulnerable. 
My boredom, tentatively referred to as such, didn't have feathers enough to wing me away from wanting to be with her, thought it was pulling at me like a loose yarn at the end of a shirt, begging to be cut. She said, amidst the space, that there isn't anything to talk about, because we have less problems. 

That pathed in two ways. One, it made me think how problem-driven conversations have been between us. I made the commitment to not have fix-it corneas when talking to her, so recently when she's presented something, I listened then gave my opinion, instead of analysing the situation and figuring out the solution for her, something she has proven herself much more capable of doing if she has a sounding board, not a problem-solver. So without problems to solve, our talk today was lighter. Was it boring? On some level, the aforementioned petty I-want-stimulation-and-entertainment level, it was, because it wasn't engaging my mind's problem solving abilities. It wasn't challenging. However, by giving that part of myself space, I was able, without realising it at the time, to not interfere too much with what was happening. After becoming aware of the lack of 'stuff' floating in the air and the speedbump of the ego wanting to be useful, the last hour or so we spent together was calmer. My mind was somewhat entertained by some more thinking games, and they helped get it through to some periods (read: full stops).

Two, I thought about what if in the future we are together and we have even less problems than we do now. The ego wouldn't like that. I think though, that with time (read: space), its influence would diminish, and we can simply be together. Happiness is absorption, I learned last year. Today tells me happiness is also stillness, whether fullness or emptiness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment