Checks

One way I learned to change my behavior is to progressively add and maintain these mental barriers, or checks, before I communicate with people. So if there is a particular social interaction I want to reduce, I remind myself to reduce it before I start communicating. Slowly, it begins to stick, if I keep up the checks, and over time that is how I develop my social interactions. 

Passing through these gossamer checks allows me to tame what is undesirable or unacceptable in my behavior and relating to others. In this way, I eliminated unwanted talkquisitions, such as saying "Oh my God" excessively. I caught myself saying it, then stopped, and when the trigger came to say it again, after a few unsuccessful times, I held it back. After a while, I stopped thinking it.

Checks are useful for mental conditioning. It's like reinforcing children to think before they speak.

Living without checks would be quite freeing, though I recognise it would run the risk of my thoughts cascading and potentially drowning chances at further open-mindedness. I don't know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment